Purchasing a flight ticket that sets you back $5000 US for you to fly in style and comfort is simply not an option for many of us. However, what a lot of us don’t know is that most airlines can upgrade their passengers if they meet stipulated guidelines from economy class for free. I will try to let you in on the secret that air operatives look for so you can use this to your advantage to receive a free business class upgrade. The following tips have been disclosed by various check-in staff of some of the world’s major airlines.
- Mannerism, be polite. You stand more chance of a pleasant surprise if your attitude towards the check in staff is cordial and kind. Remember there are a lot of people in the queue, so stand out, smile, use their name, you just might get lucky.
- Sign on to a frequent flyer programme, even if you do not fly often. This increases your chances for an upgrade, as the airline would be far more willing to reward your loyalty.
- Dress smart when you travel, you have almost no chance of getting a free upgrade if you are dressed in shorts, scruffy t-shirt and flip flops. So at least take the time to wear a decent shirt and pants or dress, the aim here is to strike a balance. Not too fancy like you are trying too hard, but looking smart in the key.
- Ask for an upgrade. Remember if you don’t ask you won’t get. The deal is to gauge the situation properly before asking. You definitely won’t get anything from a stressed staff. Make sure the counter staff is responsive before you pop the question, it just might work.
- Check in early. The staff are aware well in advance on the number of passengers boarding, so they also know if there are spare seats in the business class section